Thursday, June 10, 2010

Run for Your Life!


I used to think the traffic in Abu Dhabi was bad, until I spent time here in Cairo. What with people from over 200 different countries living (and driving) in Abu Dhabi, you can imagine the chaos on the streets. Yet being a pedestrian in that city is a walk in the park compared to trying to walk around downtown Cairo. Basically, when crossing a street you take a deep breath before darting out, and you have to just assume that the oncoming cars will yield. I often find myself stuck out in the middle of a large street, trying to avoid getting whacked by the sideview mirrors of the cars speeding by on both sides of me. The best tactic is to cross when the Egyptians do, following their well-honed street-crossing tactics. Perhaps it's meant as a joke, but even the lighted men on the pedestrian-crossing signs are depicted as running.

No comments:

Post a Comment