Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Garden City (of the Gulf)




From the City of Gardens (Sidon, Lebanon) I went via Beirut to the Garden City (Abu Dhabi, UAE). Imagine the huge amounts of water it takes for a city in the Arabian Desert to maintain that nickname. Time for some r & r (rest and repacking) at home. As for the photos, the top one is a picture of the store in downtown Abu Dhabi where I buy my produce. The clerk is from India, but kind (and patient) enough to let me practice my rudimentary Arabic while shopping there. The middle photo depicts a favorite pastime in Abu Dhabi, taking photos in front of the mosaics in the underground walkways. And the last photo is of some famous Abu Dhabi landmarks close my apartment, where the tourists get off their buses, snap some photos of the giant teapot, canon, and incense burner, then a few minutes later pile back onto the bus a drive away.

No comments:

Post a Comment