Thursday, June 30, 2011

Moulay Idriss and Volubilis






Located north of Meknes near the Middle Atlas mountains, Volubilis is Morocco's best preserved archaelogical site, and one of the Roman Empire's most remote outposts. Volubilis is only about 2 miles from the pleasant mountain town of Moulay Idriss, so I found a room for the night with a family living there. After waiting out the hot afternoon, I spent several pleasant evening hours before sunset exploring the vast ruins of Volubilis. While there a young man selling hats and postcards approached me and, after some bargaining, agreed to show me around the site. Having a guide brought the place alive, plus I got the added advantage of practicing my French. By the way, the above camel photo was not taken in the Moulay Idriss region. I took that photo in the old market area of Marrakesh when I returned there yesterday, en route to the High Atlas mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment