Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Well Done, Please


I arrived in Sfax yesterday. Located south of Tunis on the Mediterranean coast, this is Tunisia's second largest city. Toward evening I headed for In Time, a small pizza and sandwich restaurant recommend in my guide book. I settled in at an outside table and after waiting fifteen minutes or so for a waiter to come and take my order I finally got up to go inside the restaurant to find him. Just before entering, I heard a woman screaming and then saw waiters frantically running around. Then I noticed the flames and smoke coming from the rear of the restaurant, inside the kitchen. Some of the restaurant staff ran around to the back, hooked up a garden hose, and began spraying water into the kitchen window to try and douse the flames. After about fifteen minutes a firetruck arrived and by this time a crowd from the nearby apartments had gathered, holding handkerchiefs over their faces to try to block out the nasty smelling smoke. I hung out for a while and snapped a few photos as the fire was eventually extinguished, then decided to head to another restaurant as it didn't look like the In Time would be serving up any more meals on that particular night.

No comments:

Post a Comment