Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Xi'an, China's heartland


Xi'an, located in the heart of China, is likely best known for the army of thousands of terracotta warriors that were unearthed northeast of town back in the mid 1970s. Once the end of the Silk Road, Xi'an is surrounded by old city walls, about 8.5 miles in length, 36 feet high. The photo above shows the Bell Tower, as viewed from Pacific Coffee Shop while I enjoyed an extra large mug of hot Chinese green tea during my first evening in town.







There is a very large muslim quarter in downtown Xi'an, a great place to wander around -- especially at night when it's a wonderful riot of noises, smells, and colors.


An acquired taste?


Caveat emptor! -- Even though I own a pair of New Balance, try as I might, I could not tell these are fakes. Even the boxes AND bags are excellent copies. There was one giveaway though (aside from the fact they're being sold from a table set up out on the sidewalk). On the label inside the shoes the English is strange, e.g., "Keep shoe away from vehiculars."


During my past 2 weeks of travels in China I've been seeing these Oba Mao memorabilia. I've asked sellers why Obama is being portrayed as a Maoist, but they just shrug and say people like it. Then again, a quick check on Google shows that some far-right Americans (i.e., wingnuts) actually believe that Obama is a Communist.

Just after seeing Oba Mao T-shirts in the Xi'an market, I came across this entirely different take on Obama.

No comments:

Post a Comment