Thursday, November 13, 2014

One last jump over the Wall


This evening I'm doing my final jump over China's Great Firewall. The VPN (virtual private network) has been invaluable for blogging, checking email, getting news (e.g., the Hong Kong protests), etc. My 30-day China visa is about to expire, and tomorrow I depart for Hong Kong. My month of travels in China have been great and I'd gladly come back. One thing for sure, with a population of almost 1.4 billion people, China's not the country to travel in if you like lots of space and solitude, unless of course you make it a point to avoid all major urban areas like Beijing, Shanghai, Xi'an, Hangzhou, etc.



I took this photo yesterday at Nanputuo Temple in Xiamen, on China's southern coast. The temple is a site of pigrimage for many Buddhists from Southeast Asia.


As with most people around the world, the Chinese love sweets.


Today is the first time I've ever seen a self-service library.


I did a blog posting a while back in Malaysia about one of these toilet-theme restaurants and here is one again in southern China. I still don't understand the appeal of, for example, a turdlike plop of chocolate ice cream served up in a miniature toilet.


Two of my favorite words when traveling

No comments:

Post a Comment