Thursday, September 28, 2017

Leshan -- home of the Big Buddha

Leshan, in Sichuan Province southwest China, is home to the world's largest Buddha.


On a clear day, from my hotel room I could seen the giant Buddha (carved into the cliffside at the confluence of the three rivers, just beyond the island). Also, every night he is lit up, and thus much more visible.


Soon after checking into the hotel, I noticed people riding the current down river. This seems to be a popular sport in Leshan. After the long swim, they walk back upstream through town, often barefoot and wearing only a swimsuit


That's a large metal top that he's whipping.For some reason these men with whips are often shirtless.


I spotted this man early one morning practicing tai chi in the hotel lobby.


Grand entranceway to the big Buddha.


It's about a 20-minute walk from the entranceway to the Buddha, so I snapped a few shots along the way.


There he is, and he doesn't disappoint.


If you have the patience, you can make your way down the long, crowded, narrow stairway, to get a view from the bottom.



Yes, no doubt about it, definitely a VERY big Buddha.


You can see to the left the narrow stairway heading down to the Buddha's feet.


On my way out, after a long morning visit and a stop at a teahouse.


I wonder if everyone experiences this feeling from time to time.


My driver from the Big Buddha site.


Big event going on at the hotel where I was staying. She steam ironed every one of those chair covers.


A long, 23-hour ride back to Beijing, but at least I was in a sleeper car (albeit a very noisy one due to a hyperactive little boy).

No comments:

Post a Comment