Saturday, July 28, 2018

Sizzlin' in Beijing...

 Mid 90s and sunny most days in Beijing now. One thing I do to cool off is frequent local coffee shops, which also sometimes include art displays inside the shopping center.
 As an indoor summer project, I decided to try to tackle the soapy scum on the shower glass. I read that a mixture of baking soda & white vinegar will do the trick. Ended up with white paste all over the place.
 Due to the heat, lately I've mostly been eating salads and fruit.
 Time for the 6-month visit to the local dentist, where I always find it interesting that along with  coffee for patients, there's sugar and cookies.




 Our "pet" 猫猫 (Maomao, means cat cat) has been coming around regularly for summer meals, though I noticed yesterday there's at least one other person in the neighborhood feeding him.

 Summer is a time when many of our Foreign Service neighbors move on, which means they're trying to lighten their load. The Chinese Monkey King (above) was given to me for practically nothing.

 Thought I'd take advantage of the rain last Tuesday to visit the National Museum. Though it was pouring, I was surprised to find the museum packed (above). I didn't know until recently that's one of the biggest museums in the world.
 Still plugging away at the Chinese. The characters never cease to fascinate me. For example, "museum" is comprised of 3 characters: 1. many 2. things 3. guest
 Seller at the local wet market.
 Very hot at the wet market, which gives the place a raw meaty smell.
 Despite the high temps, people still going to the local park to enjoy a Sunday outing.


No comments:

Post a Comment