Monday, September 7, 2020

Farewell Xi'an


Xi' an, central China, is one of my favorite cities in China. About 6 hours by bullet train southwest of Beijing, it's the gateway to the ancient Silk Road, and also home to many Chinese Muslims. I've been here at least a half dozen times, and feel very fortunate to get this one final visit. 
Beijing West Train Station. Early train out so I took a taxi to the station at around 5 am. Most my better photos involve some amount of luck. As I was taking this photo the mom happened to look up at me, which made it a much better photo. 

Another lucky shot. On a train platform during a stop from Beijing to Xi'an, I was taking a photo of this attendant getting back on the train when she suddenly turned around to look back at me. 








Above 4 photos: Xi'an's colorful and lively Muslim Street is one of my favorite places in China. 


Gigantic broth pot. 


Chinese memorabilia for sale at a Xi'an flea market. 


That would indeed be a priceless book, but as is always the case with this sort of thing, this too turned out to contain just a lot of worn out truisms. 

I always travel with a thermometer and take my temp in my hotel room from time to time. Now in China your temp is taken whenever you enter grocery stores, hospitals, airports, train stations, cafes, malls, subway stations, etc. and I don't want to find out what happens to those found to have a fever. 


Futuristic movie theater at a Xi'an mall. For about 30 yuan, or $4, you can pick a movie off a list for a private pod viewing. 


I always seem to be able to put together some sort of vegan dinner. On this particular evening I had brocolli, greens, and a bag of cashews. 


Time to head home to Beijing. I spotted this futuristic gadgetry for sale at Xi'an North RR Station. 


Also at Xi'an North RR Station - - looks like this guy's doing some rough traveling. I remember hitchhiking up in Maine about 20 years ago and to lighten our loads Dawn and I wrapped a bunch of stuff in a blanket and mailed it like that back to Ohio. 
 
So it's goodbye to Xi'an. I don't know when or if I'll be back, but I sure love that city. I've about 3 weeks left before returning to the US, so this could be my final trip in China - - or maybe not...


 


2 comments:

  1. I love all your pics, brings bac memories. from the bullet trains, steet food to all your vegie eating. It was a great experience traveling with you and Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that was a great trip we all took together.

    ReplyDelete